Friday, October 15, 2010

Thoughts

With office politics blowing in a storm all around me, I find myself thinking about what my ex-boyfriend's father taught me years ago:

The Buddha will speak only

...if it is timely
...if it is truthful
...if it is beneficial

If what you want to say does not fulfill all three, then do not say anything at all.

What a great lesson to learn. This is something I struggle with on a daily basis mostly because I don't fulfill #1 or #3.  Must try to keep this in mind.

__________________________________________________________________________________

My co-worker and I were talking the other day and he told me something which he has learned throughout his life that proves to be very true: Those who can hurt you the most are the ones closest to you. Having recently experienced this, my co-worker was very sad. I thought about what he said and I would have to agree. How many times has this happened to you, or to someone you know? How many times have you been the one to do the hurting? I know with certainty that I have wounded others in the past, whether it was my family or my friends. It doesn't make me happy to revisit these instances, but I suppose it's necessary in order to learn from them and to not commit them again. 

2 comments:

M Plamondon said...

You should read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. Very similar to those lessons. Such wonderful lessons.

Ellen said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Momo. Will have to check it out once I finish 2 other books I've got going on.