I read this in the National Post last weekend and was instantly upset.
A confused and upset-looking Artem Saveliev arrived unaccompanied in Moscow on a flight from Tennessee via Washington on Thursday. He was carrying a backpack containing markers, candies and cookies.
Having been on numerous long-haul flights with my niece when she was 2 years old, I've also packed similar backpacks containing toys and treats, etc. Yet even with those comfort toys, Eva still needed additional comfort, even though her lovely auntie and her mom were there on the flight with her. I can't even imagine sending my niece, or let alone another small child on a flight by him/herself.
Alright, so perhaps little Artem has emotional and behavioural problems. I can understand why the adoptive mother felt she could no longer cope with him. What I don't agree with is her method of "solving the problem". She should have been in contact with the adoption agency, or even with the Russian embassy to let them know about her situation. To ship Artem by himself (and I don't care that a flight attendant was supervising him, nor that there was someone there to pick him up from the airport, he was alone, without anyone familiar to him!) is a cold and insensitive thing to do.
Thoughts from anyone? Opinions?
No comments:
Post a Comment