I don't like being short.
There is something really intimidating when you meet your junior high students and notice immediately just how much some of them tower over you. But all in all, they are a good bunch of kids who seem really curious and seem to want to get to know me better.
I was given a stack of greetings which the students in grade 8 (or second year) made for me to welcome me to the school. Here is an example of some of the things written:
Nice to meet you. My name is Haruka. English is difficult for me. But, I study English hard. Please, could you teach English for me? Good bye...
Welcome to Tosei Junior High School. My name is Ikumi. I'm thirteen. I'm brassband club. See you.
Nice introductions, right? Well read on...
I'm Tomokazu. I like soccer very much. I don't like English.
My name is Yuki. I like play game and read the comick books. I don't like English.
YIKES! Talk about honesty!
There were about 5 or 6 students who wrote how much they didn't like English. I gotta admire them for letting me know off the bat.
But the prize goes to this one from Masahiro: (written in hot pink highlighter)
ARE YOU HAPPY?
I'M HAPPY
VERY HAPPY
I'm looking forward to meeting him. And if he isn't as happy as he claims, then dammit, I'm gonna be disappointed.
So you can guess that teaching wasn't as bad as I envisioned it to be. It was great. I really like it.
1 comment:
The letters you got from your students made me laugh, especially the last one. It sounds like your are having a great time so far at your work. I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's good to hear that your students are quite normal and well behaved even though most of them don't like learning english. Hope your second week goes as smoothly as the first!!
Post a Comment