So the "rope-pull" dance thingy I mentioned last time? It's called "Soran" and is a replication of fishermen casting and pulling in the fish. Well, at least I got the pulling part right...
Anyways. This past weekend was fun. Went to Seiwa again (with Robin and Sean) to visit Heather, and with the intention of swimming in the river, but ended up rolling maki for a bunch of awesome people and going to an izakaya for some karaoke fun and some drinking. Didn't make it to bed until late so the next morning was awfully fun, if you know what I mean. Met some really great Japanese people who are friends of Heather and Katherine. They ordered pizza that night, and man, the toppings in this country are crazy! That night's pizza offering? One had corn, sliced ham, and ground beef on it. Okay, so that was kinda normal, but the next one had okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise, chunks of chicken, and get this--boiled lettuce on top. It may sound gross, but it was damn good. Still strange though...
So apparently I am participating in the tea ceremony presentation at my school's cultural festival this Thursday. I only joined the club today for crying out loud!! I'm kind of nervous about it since tomorrow is my last practice with the group and I shudder to think what the school will think of me if I screw up and spill the tea. I've actually got quite a simple part, but still--I worry.
Wish me luck.
2 comments:
Good luck Elley! Thats so awesome that you are experiencing all of this. You are taking in the Japanese culture full on!
Wierd pizzas by the way. Boiled lettuce? What the hell? I haven't tried a pizza here in Japan. I've tried them in Korea and they had strange crap too. It's funny how Japanese think putting pineapples on pizza is strange. I love cultural differences!!
Good luck Elley! Thats so awesome that you are experiencing all of this. You are taking in the Japanese culture full on!
Wierd pizzas by the way. Boiled lettuce? What the hell? I haven't tried a pizza here in Japan. I've tried them in Korea and they had strange crap too. It's funny how Japanese think putting pineapples on pizza is strange. I love cultural differences!!
Post a Comment