Thursday, February 02, 2006

That old feeling of Anxiety



As you may recall, I visited Cambodia last spring.

Sean, Heather, and I volunteered at an orphanage in Phnom Penh, and then spent the remaining few days sightseeing in Siem Reap, and soaking in all that is the magnificent Angkor Wat...

*To view pictures of Cambodia (and others), please go to:

http://www.imagestation.com/member/signin.html

Member name: quivered
Password: jerk


Well, so much has happened since our volunteer trip!

I came back with such a strong impression of Cambodia. I realized just how goddamn lucky I am to be living in Japan. The guilt hit me in the stomach each and everytime I was able to turn on my A/C and lounge listlessly like a cat on my couch. Thirsty? Oh, well, I guess I'll just go to one of the many vending machines, pop in one of my many 1oo yen coins, and get myself a Pocari Sweat. And if I ever felt hungry, there was the knowledge that for only another 100 yen or more, I could head to the nearest combini and buy myself an onigiri. My lifestyle here is so convenient and easy compared to all that I saw during my trip. This was what I grappled with when I returned from my trip.

I knew I had to share that with my students.

Since then, I have had the utmost support from one of my schools. The human rights' committee has been studying about Cambodia, and I have presented a small unit on my time spent at the orphanage, Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, and the effects it has had on Cambodia today. The aim of my presentation was to hopefully create awareness about how people live in other parts of the world, and to hopefully inspire the students to think about how they can help Cambodia.

I am surprised at the level of support I have been given for this project. One of my teachers has been so awesome in her dedication and perseverance to make this happen. If it hadn't been for her heavy advocation, the project would never have been lifted off the ground.

If it hadn't been for her, my students would not have been able to meet the children from the orphanage. How lucky we were to have chosen an orphanage who was able to come to Japan!! Future Light Orphanage has a dance troupe, and as luck would have it, they were to perform at this summer's Aichi Expo. And like a dream-come-true, my students met the FLO children.

A letter exchange has been established, but with the low level of English my students have, it has proven to be a bit difficult in maintaining constant contact. Still, my kids are doing their best, and I couldn't be more happier.

This Saturday, there will be a big presentation at my school about this whole project. What makes it even more special is that Madam Phaly, the founder of Future Light Orphanage, is travelling all the way from Cambodia to be at my school. I am to give a short speech, but I am dead nervous about it.

I am so excited about this, but wish me luck that I don't look like an ass in front of everyone.

AAAAAGH!!

No comments: