Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Happy Eating


I have been craving Asian food lately. Sometimes there's nothing better than miso soup, a bowl of white rice, soy seasoned tofu, and a tangy, crunchy Korean salad of cucumbers. I was in heaven yesterday.



The one thing I can't get over is my dislike for kimchi. I like crunchy, I like juicy, I like salty, but I don't like spicy, tangy, and slightly bitter taste thrown into the mix. Plus, the smell really turns me off. And this is from a girl who likes durian! But I live with a man who just loves kimchi. Sometimes I hear him crunching it before I can even smell it. Something I have to get used to, I guess :)

1. From Jeana Sohn's awesome food blog Bap Story
2. Large kimchi from the lovely Korean man at Strathcona Farmer's Market (D swears it's the best in the city)

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Hah! Oh man, kimchi is the BEST! I understand how it can be an acquired taste though. Have you tried kimchi fried rice or kimchi pancakes? Those dishes tone down kimchi's pungent flavors a lot.

Ellen said...

I just noticed your comment! Thanks for stopping by :)

No, I haven't tried kimchi fried rice, but I have eaten the pancakes though. Even though the pancakes weren't bad, I think I still can't get over the fact that it contains kimchi. Psychological, I guess!