Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Le Weekend, just passed

Brunch at Blue Plate

Good food and very kid-friendly too.
We love this place.
Tired Danny and a bored-looking Eva
(maybe she needed a coffee to wake up? Ha ha)


Soon Eva took control of the camera and this is what she saw:




 


Little man takes a crayon

Marco likes to lean into me


"Telus World of Science" (that's Space Science Center to me, forever and ever) where Eva and Marco ran around like crazy monkeys looking at things with microscopes, playing with water, and hopefully learning about how important science is.




Eva volunteered to be a part of the electricity workshop!


Back at home.
We were tired.

Snuggles on the couch while Marco takes a long nap.
(Chin rolls while trying to capture the 3 of us. How attractive.)

We love funny faces. Especially when I look like such a dork.


Finished Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. Still don't know what to make of it. I don't like her writing style and am reluctant to read the popular soon-to-be released into a film Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. The plot sounds interesting enough, I just don't like her "I'm part Chinese and I know how the culture works, so there" style of writing. Seems a bit pretentious and I don't feel emotionally invested in any of the characters; her writing feels cold and detached even when she tries to inject feeling into the dialogue. Even Pearl S. Buck was more natural in her writing!

Go-kart racing at Speeders. So much fun, although I finished last. The fear of crashing into someone or even the wall terrified me. I'll be better next time!

And then, Game of Thrones. Finally! Finally! Finally!
I think they did a great job translating it for TV, but as with any film adaptation of a book, there are some problems. I'm pretty satisfied with the casting choices for the most part, but as we all remarked to each other, the actors seemed older than what the characters are in the series. I'm looking forward to the next episode however! Go John Snow. And Tyrion.

Can't believe it's the weekend again. You gotta love this short week!
Hope everyone has a fantastic long weekend. D and I are on a mini break to Calgary!

One last photo of Eva because she's so darn cute and beautiful.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen,
Can't say I know much about Chinese culture, but I really loved the book Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Loved the idea of a language that only women know, and how it is used to communicate in secret. Would like to hear what you think of it if you choose to read it.
And hey- I thought of you and our conversation about the book Infidel a while ago when I was checking out a blog I follow - Lesley Hazelton - you might be interested. Anyhoo- she was talking about Islamophobes and said that Hirsi Ali is one. I had to agree, and wondered what you thought.
Jill

Ellen said...

Hey Jill,

Yes, I think I will end up reading Snow Flower, just because so many people have told me it's good. Danny's mom told me that Shanghai Girls wasn't as good as Snow Flower, so perhaps I'd chosen the wrong book to start with.

As for Ayaan Hirsi Ali being an Islamophobe, I'll have to disagree (but you knew I would, didn't you? ha ha). I'll talk to you more about it when I see you tonight!

PS: Thanks for reading my blog :)