Ben and Heather called me up with the most exciting news: they have a deep-fryer! Now, there's no question that everything always tastes better when it's deep fried.
So of course I pounced on the requests when Ben asked me what I wanted them to cook:
Yam fries. A Blooming Onion. And yes, a deep-fried Mars bar, something I never got to try despite being in Scotland.
"Deep-fried ice cream!", yelled Heather in the background. I pictured the Mars bar on top of the deep-fried ice cream and salivated just a little.
D and I arrived in time to watch the deep-fryer in action. How come I never thought of getting one before? I thought, as Ben churned out the requested yam fries and blooming onion.
Homemade spicy mayonnaise sauce for the onion and ketchup for the fries.
...And spicy sweet Thai dipping sauce for The Amazing Wookie Balls!
These were so delicious. Ben had heard the recipe on the radio and whipped them up for us. Described from this restaurant's website in Toronto, Wookie Balls are: "fragrant south east Asian sticky rice balls encrusted with black and white sesame seeds, served with Thai sweet and hot dipping sauce". Ben had cooked the rice in mint tea, so the balls were especially fragrant and delicious.
I really wish I'd brought my camera. Those balls were damn good, but they looked pretty as well (PS: minds out of the gutter, folks. I'm aware of how that last sentence just sounded!).
Dip, crunch. Dip, crunch.
Crunch, crunch, crunch, YUM.
And then came the Mars bars. Again, I wish I'd had my camera with me. If you can imagine a sweet Mars bar coated in crispy light batter and oozing with warm, sticky nougat, then please salivate along with me. It was so good, but by the end of our Deep Fried Bonanza, my tummy was beginning to feel heavy and unwell.
But I don't regret it at all! Thanks Ben and Heather, for a lovely evening full of laughter, fun, and of course, Settlers of Catan :)
No comments:
Post a Comment