Thursday, January 07, 2010

I'm not afraid of you!

According to the weather forecast, this Saturday looks like it’s going to be a balmy -3 degrees Celsius. I’m not going to lie to you that I am super excited about this upcoming change in temperature. A few months ago, I made a promise to myself that I was not going to let the harsh winter get me down. I promised myself to go outside and do things, to not be afraid of the freezing cold, icy roads, and biting wind. I didn’t want to stay cloistered in my place for the entire winter because it’s so easy and convenient to say, “Oh, I can’t make it out today. It’s too cold!”
Fast forward to now and ask me if I’ve made good on my resolution. What do you think? I’m a bit ashamed to admit that ever since the snow started, I haven’t been as gung-ho about heading outside on a cold winter’s day. But that doesn’t mean that I’ve been a hermit in my home—I’ve just been going to places with warm and cosy atmospheres, like a pub, restaurant, or café.

So another new year has started, and as is tradition, everyone has their New Year’s Resolutions listed and ready to reel off to people when asked as a conversation starter. I have learned not to make such lists because I generally don’t follow through and it usually just generates a snort from me when I encounter it in my journal months later! But my resolution came before New Year’s and I am planning to stick with it.

I’m lucky because two things are going to happen which will make me get a start on heading outside in the cold: the warm temperatures for this weekend, and WINTER FESTIVALS! The Deep Freeze-A Byzantine Winter Festival is happening this weekend, and I am excited to take my niece and nephew to it. I just know that Eva will love the face painting, ice sculptures, hot cocoa, and general festival atmosphere! Lots of good things for a 3 year old to experience. At 8 months, Marco will no doubt be stimulated by the people and music, colors, etc., but I just know Eva will enjoy herself more. I only hope she doesn’t get too excited and runs off on me…!

No comments: