Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Little Things

Golden sunshine. Greenish-brown hills. Curving, winding roads.

Rice fields. Abandoned tractors.

A house that's one-hundred years old.

I pass by all of this on a thirty minute drive to school with my kyoto-sensei. It's picturesque and serene--a perfect way to begin the day. Kyoto-sensei and I have animated conversations above the sound of the radio, with the help of a dictionary. It's great how much we can find out about each other despite the significant language barrier. I'm learning a lot more Japanese just by talking with him. And he, likewise, is learning more English. Yesterday he learned the phrase "pick me/you up" and today he was so happy to be able to use it: "Today the second graders will come to pick you up from here". It was great.

On the drive home today he took a different route and asked me whether or not I liked eggs. Within 5 minutes of telling him yes, he'd pulled over to a small shack-like structure and opened the door for me to get out. It was an egg vending machine.

"Do you want jumbo or small?"

Thank God I'd said small because the eggs weren't that "small" at all! I can only imagine what kind of cholesterol problems I'd have if I had asked for a dozen jumbo eggs.

So I now have a bag of a dozen brown eggs waiting for me to crack open to reveal large, golden yolks. I can't wait. They are reputedly delicious, a specialty of the area.

I'm touched kyoto-sensei took time out of the long drive home to buy those eggs for me. Thank you!

No comments: