Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Hope and Courage

The recent tsunamis which swept across much of SE Asia continues to leave me in a state of shock and distress, but it is a huge relief to know that Nash's family in Sri Lanka is safe and sound, Sonnia's relatives in India are okay, and that numerous JETs who are in Thailand are safe. I haven't heard from Susi yet about her family in Sri Lanka, but from the sounds of it, they are okay.

It's distressing to witness the wreckage left in those countries. I'm particularly saddened by the large number of babies or small children who were wrenched out of their parents' arms by the sheer force of the waves. A two year old was rescued, but his parents are missing and his nationality is unknown.

I can't imagine what that would be like.

I pray that everything will be alright soon.

Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
--Dorothy Thompson


No comments: