D and I watched Werner Herzog's newest documentary Cave of Forgotten Dreams last night. It is about the Chauvet Cave in France. I continue to be impressed and am in awe of what humans are capable of. Such artistry was created about 30 000 years ago and still it looks almost modern. The cave is proof that art is an expression of communication; something that distinguishes us as being human. Watching this film made me think of how insignificant my life seems in comparison to such a spectacular discovery. Chauvet Cave is a landmark of human development, a definite living time capsule.
The soundtrack was fascinating--a true symphony (and at times a cacophony) of piano, drums, haunting cello, and operatic voices. It sends chills up my spine just listening to clips of it. I am honestly spellbound by Ernst Rejiseger's music. I want Bjork to do a collaboration with him, if she hasn't already done so!
Anyways, here's the trailer. It's offered in 3D at the theatre. At first I was a bit wary of the 3D aspect, but it actually makes sense since that form allows you to view the contours of the cave more closely.





No comments:
Post a Comment