Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I remember being carried by the current and grabbing onto branches to keep me from being dragged away. Those branches cut and hurt my hands, scratched them all over. Each time I would snatch back my hand and nurse the wounds, yet I would continue to search for a different branch and stretch out to hold onto it. It was a cycle repeated and I thought I'd learned from it each time it happened.

Currents flow, time stops, a drop in the water.

A time to live in the moment.

______________________________________________________________________

My beloved Roopy has been given away and now I have Silvio. Bigger, stronger, faster. Silvio hums and roars when I want it to. But with such power there comes consequences. This week I witnessed countless idiots on the road: one with a sandwich in one hand and the steering wheel in the other, head turned to look at the wrong side and then she surged into traffic without seeing me; one with a dark sedan, heading into the intersection on a red light and turning left despite the sign telling him not to; countless impatient, pig-headed fools weaving in and out of thick traffic; and then there are the ones who follow me so closely I imagine it's a dog sniffing the ass of a bitch in heat...

____________________________________________________________________

Some part of me welcomes the changing of the leaves while the other part laments the end of summer. As golden leaves line the sidewalks and flutter towards the sewers, I imagine a life of anonymity, of hardship, of freedom, of loneliness. The sounds and smells will be different, but somewhere something will remain the same.

And then I hold onto the streetlamp and suddenly everything feels real.

2 comments:

M Plamondon said...

Keep writing girl. You are amazing!

Ellen said...

Thanks Momo.