
A touching film from Korea about a spoiled 7 year old boy sent to live with his 77 year old grandmother, The Way Home explores generation gaps, communication, the contrast between modern conveniences and traditional ways of living, and most of all, the love between a grandmother and grandchild.
Certain times in the film made me want to slap the spoiled boy Sang-Woo. He is so rude and taunts his mute grandmother, even going so far as to call her a "retard". Yet throughout the film, his grandmother never loses her temper or patience--she gives unconditional love to her grandson no matter what happens. And through it all, Sang-Woo learns from her love and his view of life changes.
I won't reveal too much about the story, but when it ended I was surprised at how much I suddenly missed my maternal grandmother. Although I was never close with her, I loved her and was raised to respect and honor her. We had some communication diffulties due to language barriers (I was never proficient in Fukienese, and although she understood Cantonese, I always felt nervous to speak with her, I don't know why.), so in a way I was like Sang-Woo in how we would find ways to understand each other.
Grandma, I miss you. I hope you understand me.
2 comments:
After reading this I went on youtube and looked for the movie. I watched it, cried, thought about my own grandma, and cried some more. Thanks for sharing!!
Isn't it just thr most amazing film? I'm glad you liked it too, despite making you sad. It's definitely a powerful film.
Post a Comment