
Recently I had the chance to finally see Vicky Cristina Barcelona. I'd seen the Oscars and saw Penelope win, but until the other day I hadn't known what that winning performance was all about. I have to say that I really liked the movie. I know there are many people who say that Woody Allen failed to produce something spectacular this time, but I think he did a wonderful job.
I finished the film and thought about how many other couples I know who are in unfulfilling relationships. Is this really what it's like to get married, stay together for a long time, only to fall apart along the way as the years go by but still stay together out of fear? The thought frightens me.
And then I read this article in the Globe&Mail today and felt even more sad and frightened:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090305.wlmarriage05/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cristina: [Looking at a sculpture of Jesus] Are you very religious?
Juan Antonio: No, no, no, no, I'm not. The trick is to enjoy life, accepting it has no meaning whatsoever.
Cristina: No meaning? You don't think that authentic love gives life meaning?
Juan Antonio: Yes, but love is so transient. Isn't it? I was in love with a most incredible woman... and then in the end...
Vicky: Yes?
Juan Antonio: She put a knife into me.
Cristina: My God, that's terrible!
Vicky: Well, maybe you did something to deserve it.
No comments:
Post a Comment