Sunday, June 04, 2006

Month of May Recap

Way early in the beginning of March, I began searching for available (read: cheap) flights to take me to Spain during Golden Week so that I could be there to help out my sister during her final month of pregnancy. I envisioned us reunited again under the hot sun of Spain, riding the bus together while I regaled her with silly snippets of my life in which she could point out the inconsistencies in my reasoning as always. There would be trips downtown to the lovely ice cream shop, where I would order my three flavors as usual (Dulce du Leche, Strawberry Cheesecake, and some other rich chocolate flavor only the Spaniards can produce), and the man behind the counter would place into the cup three heaping scoops of said flavors, pack them in tightly, and then level it off with the spoon, leaving me with a hefty cup full of sweet heaven. My sister and I would go shopping for more baby clothes to fill the nursery wardrobe with, and I would help my sister do household chores, so that she could rest her burgeoning belly and just relax. I thought that perhaps I would accompany her to the doctor’s office, where I could finally see my little niece on a screen monitor, her little heart pumping away while she floated in a reverie within my sister’s womb.

I dreamed, I dreamed, I dreamed.

But alas, I was met with disappointment: the “cheapest” flight available was about $1500 Canadian for an 8 day trip. That was way too expensive of a trip for me.

I was crushed.

My sister wasn’t due until May 27th (or 28th), but I had hoped that I would be able to be with her before she gave birth because I wouldn’t be able to attend the actual birth when the time came.

So for Golden Week, I remained in Japan and took little trips here and there, accompanying my friends as they took their parents on a tour of Japan; participated in a bit of “retail therapy” as they call it; discovered new books in which I could escape into, and used up my phone card as I made repeated calls to my sister to monitor her progress.

And then it happened.

Little Eva entered the world on May 3rd, complete with a crown of fuzzy black hair, and the smooth skin of all babies. It was a relatively easy birth, and I was happy to know that my sister suffered little.

Such a beautiful little girl...


BUT.


Baby Eva’s early arrival meant that if I was able to get to Spain for Golden Week, I WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE FOR THE BIRTH.

Needless to say, I was gutted.

Anyways, so my sister’s finally a mother—and I, and my eleven year old sister, are proud aunties of our beautiful little niece.

How I wish I could have been there….!!!

Yet Baby Eva is still in the hospital. It has been about a month since her birth, but she has had to stay in the hospital due to a blockage in her intestine. This meant that every time my sister fed her milk, Baby Eva would vomit it back up, leading to rapid weight loss and a deficiency in nutrients. It was a harrowing few weeks after her birth for everyone, but especially for my sister and Hector, since they have had to spend hours at the hospital, watching their child through glass windows and donning masks and gloves in order to touch her. Baby Eva is such a trooper though. After at least 3 operations on her wee little body, she is making a wonderful recovery. It is expected that she should be able to come home in the next few days, to remain permanently, and to finally make a dent in the little pillow reserved for her in the nursery.

Cross your fingers everyone

PS: I also went to Cambodia again for a business trip with my teachers last week...will write more about that experience later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

go me! i'm a anutie!!!!!! go me!

Anonymous said...

haha to above. baby's skin is soooo soft, and her arms and legs are so cute and chubby!! i visited on fri (jul 28) when annie was there.. so yeah. too bad you couldn't be there. ;_; -aq