Usually I teach at the junior high level, but last week I had the pleasure of spending 5 days a Marubasira Elementary School.
I absolutely loved it there.
Enthusiastic, warm, brilliant children greeted me everytime I passed by them in the hall. I was swarmed by the first graders and tugged on my sleeve by the second graders. I played dodgeball with the third graders at recess while my fellow teachers and principal looked out the window at me flailing this blue and yellow ball at children half my size. I was "it" in tag with the fifth graders and ran until I had a stich in my side. I felt so free at recess, running around the playground and swinging on the swings. I climbed the jungle gym (monkey bars) again and felt like a giant.
I had never been happier.
While cheerful lunchtime music blared througout the school, the children donned white hats and white coats, pushing these metal carts laden with trays, chopsticks, bowls, and whatever lunch we were having. Three kids were designated what I like to call "spooners and dishers" and divided out the food amongst the class. I drank cold milk out of a miniature carton and sat at a desk half my size while watching the kids shovel rice into their mouths in a hurry to finish to get outside and play. Hell, I was rushing to get out of there too. The jungle gym beckoned me once again...
Sigh.
I wish I could go back.
No comments:
Post a Comment