Sunday, November 07, 2004

Bits and bobs...

I'm finally posting a pics from the past couple of weeks. BTW, they're not in any particular order.

For the week of Halloween I taught the kids all about the origins and history of this "crazy North American tradition". The teachers seemed bored and so did the kids. It was hard because I love Halloween. There's just nothing else like having Halloween parties at school and dressing up to march around the neighborhood getting candy poured into your pillowcase. I've grown up with this tradition, but here in Japan there is no such thing-- hence the indifference.Anyways, they all did seem to like my pumpkin at least, so I guess that wasn't too bad. Still though, it wasn't quite the same...

My friends and I went to Nara for a day. It was still great, despite the rain and copious amounts of deer shit floating around in the puddles, only to be mushed around by people's feet. We went to the Nara National Museum and then Todai-ji Temple, home of the Great Buddha. The statue is gigantic. I still can't help but think that the Big Buddha in Hong Kong might be a bit bigger though...can anyone tell me? Anyways, we didn't get to see everything we wanted since we were only going for the day, so we're planning to go back again...with NASH the next time!!

My city had it's own matsuri a few weeks back. I think it is rated as being one of the top 4 festivals in the Kansai region, although I'm not sure. Well, the streets of Ueno were crowded with people and it was a fun time. There were lots of festival food and games, but the only thing that was missing was amusement park rides. If only there had been some attractions of some kind! A ferris wheel at least? It made me wistful for the amusement parks back home, or most recently, the ones in Spain. Anways, I really enjoyed the festival, and although I didn't get a chance to eat all of the interesting food, I did get a chance to eat a chocobanana. White chocolate, to be exact. I was a happy camper.

So to end this rather shoddily written, disjointed entry, I will announce that my boyfriend is coming in less than 5 days!!!

Good times ahead.

Watch out.


No comments: